Kamakura Historical Hiking Tour with the Great BuddhaJourney Through Kamakura's History and Nature: A Cultural Hiking Expedition★★★★★
- 5 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Enjoy walking and hiking around Kamakura laid back local areas and beautiful nature
- Venture through Kamakura's historical shrines and temples and meet the Great Buddha!
- Check out Hasedera Temple, with it's beautiful scenic views of the coastline and hidden little cave!
- Have a delicious and healthy lunch at Hasedera Temple restaurant!
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Kamakura is a beautiful city where history and nature harmonize. With its esteemed status as an ancient capital, Kamakura exudes a tranquil and serene atmosphere. The charm of Kamakura is diverse, with numerous temples, shrines, and historic buildings scattered throughout the area.
The iconic symbol of Kamakura is undoubtedly the Great Buddha of Kamakura, along with many other historic structures. Additionally, the natural environment surrounding Kamakura's mountains is also a captivating feature. Through walking trails and hiking routes, visitors can enjoy breathtaking scenery and experience the ever-changing beauty of the seasons.
Kamakura is home to a wide range of temples and shrines, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the rich history and culture while finding inner peace. The beautiful coastline of Kamakura is another alluring aspect. Walking along the sandy beaches and listening to the soothing sound of waves provides a relaxing experience.
Exploring the streets and alleyways of Kamakura is also highly recommended. Discovering historic buildings and traditional shopping streets allows one to appreciate the unique atmosphere that Kamakura offers. Don't miss the opportunity to indulge in local cuisine and savor the famous dishes and craft beers that Kamakura has to offer.
Kamakura is easily accessible from the city center, making it an ideal destination for a day trip. Whether it's the tranquil ambiance, rich history, or stunning natural surroundings, Kamakura seamlessly blends these elements together. Visit Kamakura to find solace and immerse yourself in the charm of this ancient Japanese capital.
Embark on a leisurely walk along Kamakura's charming local pathways, leading to a shrine known for its foxes and a temple with intriguing money-related customs.
We'll start our journey by strolling along the tranquil paths of Kamakura, heading to a shrine renowned for its numerous torii gates and fox statues. Our local guide will delve into cultural insights, explaining the connection between shrines and foxes, Shinto philosophy, and the art of shrine worship.
Next, we'll explore a temple nestled within a cave, where you'll discover a fascinating tradition of cleansing money at the temple, adding another layer of richness to your Kamakura experience.
Immerse yourself in the stunning nature of Kamakura, away from the bustling city, and enjoy a relaxing hiking experience to the Great Buddha Statue!
Following our exploration of local shrines and temples, we'll embark on a 30 to 40-minute hiking adventure through the enchanting forest, immersing ourselves in the unique terrain and the beauty of nature. This journey will lead us to the awe-inspiring Great Buddha of Kamakura, an iconic monument with an 800-year history.
To conclude our adventure, we'll guide you to a restaurant operated by the temple and try Kamakura's local dishes like Udon, vegetable curry.
Enjoy the beautiful nature, gardens, and scenery of the temple
Following our delectable lunch, we'll meander through temples that offer an array of attractions, including scenic vistas, lush gardens, and intriguing caves. Our journey will then take us to a revered shrine, the "God of Samurai Victory," worshipped by the Kamakura Shogunate and countless warriors. To wrap up our tour, we'll leisurely stroll along the bustling Komachi-dori Street, home to an array of souvenir shops and restaurants, providing a delightful conclusion to our Kamakura adventure.
In front of Clock Tower located in JR Kamakura Station West ExitSee on google maps
- A guide will be holding a sign saying "Magical Trip"
- Please wear suitable hiking clothes and shoes because the hiking trail is slippery on some parts
- Routes are subject to change if hiking trails are unusable due to weather conditions
- In case of rain, we use train to see the Great Buddha statue instead of using hiking trail
- Please bring water and towel because it's around 5 km walking & hiking tour (Hiking trail is about 2.5km)
- If the probability of rain is more than 70% on the day before the tour, the tour will be cancelled and a full refund will be given.
- The restaurant industry faces difficulty of hiring restaurant staff and training them because many restaurant staff had to quit or got laid off during the times of the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, food and drinks at some restaurants possibly comes served late and the tour might be longer than originally scheduled. We kindly ask for your understanding
- Because most Japanese restaurants are not fully ready for providing vegetarian menus, choices of vegetarian foods in our tour is available but limited.
- All ages can join this tour.
- You do not need to pay for the guide's food and drinks.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time change up to 24 hours till the tour starting time (depending on availability).