Kyoto Night Foodie TourDive into the Kyoto's food culture at hidden restaurants in Gion★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
We deployed some measures to ensure the safety of our customers and guides.Read more
- Experience Kyoto's authentic local foods in the backstreets of Gion, and learn about the food culture of Kyoto
- Stroll through beautiful Gion area at night
- Share a table with a local guide and listen to real, local voices
- A family-friendly experience for travelers interesting in Kyoto's local foods
- Full dinner course (Vegan menu available)
- 3 drinks (Alcohol and Non-alcohol available)
- Tour photos
- 3 hours with a local guide
- Additional drinks and food fee (available for purchase)
Kyoto is a very special place in Japan where you can really feel the authenticity and tradition of Japan.
This is because Kyoto used to be the capital of Japan for a thousand years, and a lot of Japanese culture started here.
Just by walking around the streets, you can still feel the remnants of ancient Japan.
This feeling turns magical at night, when the warm lights of the restaurants and bars turn on, and the locals go out to enjoy some drinks and good food.
Kyoto's restaurants and bars look very different from those in other areas of Japan. It's ofen a challenge for even the locals to gain entry to them, as they are often elegant and crowded. In this Kyoto night food tour, our friendly local guide will take you to three different places that are normally hard to find for tourists.
There, we can eat and drink together like the locals do. Each of these restaurants has a strong concept and atmosphere.
To start, we'll walk around the Gion area and head to the first izakaya. On the streets, we'll see many old Kyoto-style buildings with machiya architecture, as well as tea houses.
At the first location, we'll enjoy Kyoto vegetables or meats with simple seasoning in order to taste the ingredient's pure flavors.
At the second restaurant, we'll enjoy mouth-watering platters of the local delicacy "Obanzai" and perfect food pairings with a Kikizake (a selection of 3 types of Japanese sake) set! Don't miss out on the finger licking Shio-koji fried chicken too at this hard to find local favorite!
Finally, we'll go to a sake standing bar to sample local sake. (Non-alcohol menu is also available)
Any type of traveler can enjoy this food tour, whether you're traveling with family, friends, or your're solo traveler.
Don't worry if you don't know what to eat or drink. Our guide will help you order and will explain everything!
Let's try local food that you can only find in Kyoto, and explore the backstreets of this beautiful city with our local guide!
Try Kyoto's traditional, seasoned dishes at a hidden restaurant in Gion
The tour's meeting spot is in front of the Izumo no Okuni statue at Gion Shijo station. After meeting up, we'll walk around the Gion area where many old Kyoto-style buildings can be seen. Our local guide will provide insight into how locals enjoy their nights. **If you are lucky, a geisha may pass you by!** While strolling through the streets of Gion, you'll come across the first place we'll stop by an old Japanese house. It's host to a restaurant that, unless you knew about it, you would never find. We will enjoy simple, seasoned Kyoto appetizers like obanzai (cuisine native to Kyoto), oden (Japanese stew), or yuba (tofu skin) in a traditional atmosphere!
Enjoy more Kyoto food
After tasting Kyoto traditional foods at the first location, we'll walk to the second spot famous for its Sake where you can enjoy mouth-watering platters of the local delicacy "Obanzai" and perfect food pairings with a Kikizake (a selection of 3 types of Japanese sake) set! Don't miss out on the finger licking Shio-koji fried chicken too at this hard to find local favorite!
Finish the tour with Kyoto's local liquor or matcha dessert
After trying many traditional dishes, we'll round things up with the tour to the Kyoto's bar, where you can taste Kyoto's local liquor or matcha dessert that have been made in Kyoto!
- All ages can join this tour
- Please note that there may be other participants
- You do not need to pay for the guide's food and drinks
- Please bring some cash for extra drinks and food you may want to order, as most bars don't accept credit cards
- Only person over 20 years of age can drink alcohol because of law in Japan
- This tour could possibly visit the place where smoking is not prohibited. please note that we may not be able to change the tour venues in this case.
- Out of respect for our other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time change up to 24 hours till the tour starting time.
- Cancellation after the starting time or no show, we offer no refund or date/time change.
- We will start the tour on time. Being late for more than 5 minutes without contacting us will be regarded as a cancellation without any refund.
- Local favorite foods and drinks
- Hidden spots all over Japan
- Meet 10 of our local guides
Not ready to book yet?
Save it for later
Travel planning is hard. Take your time :) Save this link just in case and come back when you make a decision.
Some decisions need to be done together.
Share this link and see what they think
Check our FAQ to clear up any doubts you might have.