4-hour Kyoto Historical Highlights Bike Tour with UNESCO Zen TemplesCycle through historical Kyoto and visit it's beautiful Zen temples and shrines; including the UNESCO World Heritage Zen temple★★★★★
- 4 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Everything is included. Don't worry about renting a bike. We got you covered!
- Bike around beautiful historical sites and visit World Heritage Zen temple Kennin-ji!
- Enjoy a quintessential local Kyoto lunch at a traditional Japanese house.
- Cycle around hidden areas and learn the history of this great city!
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Our local guides have meticulously crafted this bike tour with passion! In Kyoto, cycling is the preferred mode of transportation. Buses can often be crowded, causing you to miss the city's authentic essence. With us, you'll glide effortlessly, bypass queues, and navigate freely on comfortable city bikes. Rest assured, we provide insurance, safety gear, and locks for your convenience.
This tour is perfect for those seeking a relaxed yet comprehensive Kyoto experience in just 3.5 hours. Explore both the "must-see" landmarks and hidden gems off the typical tourist path.
We kick off in Gion, navigating our way to Kennin-ji, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to immerse ourselves in Wabi-sabi and its Zen Rock garden. Experience the serene Zen atmosphere. Next, we'll cycle to Nanzen-ji, Japan's premier Zen temple, known for its picturesque spots. A brief ride brings us to Heian Jingu shrine, where you'll gain insights into local customs.
Lunchtime promises to be memorable! We've selected a restaurant where you can indulge in Kyoto's distinctive cuisine, all while surrounded by a picturesque Japanese garden. Vegetarian? No worries—just inform us in advance!
At Magical Trip, we're dedicated to crafting unique experiences and fostering meaningful connections. Don't hesitate to pose any questions to our local guides. We aspire to cultivate friendships because, in our eyes, travel is all about forging invaluable connections.
And here's the exciting part: we also offer bike tours in Tokyo and Osaka. Experience the thrill of exploring other cities on two wheels!
Kick off the tour by cycling along the beautiful Kamo river before visiting Gion and Kennin-ji temple!
Despite being the 8th biggest metropolitan city with more than a population of 1.4 million, you will be surprised to find how calm and peaceful this ancient city is! Start this tour of historical sites by learning about Gion & Geisha and Zen culture in Japan in UNESCO World Heritage Zen temple, Kennin-ji in Gion district. Get ready to feel the world of Zen in a traditional Zen temple with a Japanese Rock garden called Karesansui.
Breeze through beautiful local streets in historical city and enjoy a delicious lunch at a Japanese tea house!
As you may already know, Kyoto is the former capital city of Japan from 794 until 1868 when the modern government moved its capital to Tokyo. It's no overstatement that whatever you imagine as 'Japanese culture' most likely has its roots in Kyoto! So after seeing the Kennin-ji temple, get ready to cycle again for a nice ride to the Nanzen-ji temple where your guide will give you some insights about Zen and the old days of Kyoto! After visiting some photogenic places in this temple, get ready to chow-down on some local cuisine with a plethora of different soba dishes available as well and yummy deserts with matcha and mochi at a traditional Japanese house! Also feel free to check out the beautiful Japanese garden and souvenir shop next door with delicious Japanese sweets called Yatsuhashi available to try too!
Enjoy the local Kyoto oasis that is Kamogawa river with a relaxing cycle along it's riverbanks to finish the tour off!
After having some delicious Kyoto cuisine and taking a break, hop back on your bike and finish the tour off with a super-relaxing ride along the beautiful and distinctly Kyoto-esque route through the city. On the way, you'll see many locals enjoying the sunshine and flowing river at this relaxing spot.
In front of the Seven Eleven convenience store outside of Exit Hachijo guchi of Kyoto station. It's next to Heart in viain.
- In front of the Seven Eleven convenience store outside of Exit Hachijo guchi of Kyoto station. It's next to Heart in viain.
- The guide will be waiting with a Magical Trip sign board.
- 9:00 - Meet-up
- 9:05 - Bike rental shop
- 9:15 - Cycle along the Kamo river to Gion district (3 km)
- 9:30 - Gion & Kennin-ji Temple
- 10:25 - Nanzen-ji Temple (2.2 km)
- 10:55 - Heian Jingu shrine (1.4 km)
- 11:20 - Lunch (0.8 km)
- 12:30 - Tour finishes back the bike rental shop (5.2km)
- Total : 12.6 km
- The restaurant industry faces difficulty in hiring restaurant staff and training them due to many restaurant staff having to quit or having gotten laid off during the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, food and drinks at some restaurants may be served late making the tour last longer than originally scheduled. We kindly ask for your understanding
- Because most Japanese restaurants are not fully ready for providing vegetarian menus, limited choices of vegetarian foods in our tour is available.
- Anyone over 150cm ( 4′11″)tall can join this tour.
- This cycling tour is not only for highly skilled bikers but for anyone.
- The tour might be cancelled in case of unsuitable weather for safety reasons.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes for cycling.
- Please be prepared for hot temperature in summer.
- Please bring something to drink during the tour. (We don't provide a plastic bottle of water from viewpoint of SDGs.)
- Please follow traffic rules which your guide will explain to you.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get a refund or reschedule if you are late for the tour and miss the group.
- We do not recommend bringing young children and baby on this tour. We can refer customers with children to outside sitter services, so please contact us before booking.
- We recommend obtaining travel insurance on your own before participating.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
Anyone over 150cm ( 4′11″)tall can join this tour because of the size of bicycles.
The tour would be cancel if there is a 40% or more of rain probability. In case of cancellation because of bad weather we will send you a message one day before the tour; we might propose you to reschedule the tour to the closest available day (depending on availability).
If it is cancelled by bad weather, you get full refund.