Kyoto Historical Highlights Bike Tour with World Heritage Zen TempleCycle through historical Kyoto and visit it's beautiful Zen temples and shrines; including the World Heritage Zen temple★★★★★
- 4 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Everything is included. Don't worry about renting a bike. We got you covered.
- Bike around beautiful historical sites and visit World Heritage Zen temple Kennin-ji!
- Enjoy a quintessential local Kyoto lunch at a traditional Japanese house.
- Cycle around hidden areas and learn the history of this great city.
- Rental bike
- 4 hours with a local guide
- Entrance fee to Kennin-ji temple
- Tour photos
- Local Kyoto lunch at Japanese house (Vegan menu available)
- Helmet (if you need)
- Bike lock
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
This bike tour was made and loved by our local and knowledgeable tour guides! Ask anyone local here and they'd tell you that cycling is the best way to get around this beautiful city.
Although most tourists use buses to get around the city, buses are usually very packed and won't let you experience Kyoto's vibrant culture and lifestyle to the fullest. By cycling with us, we can skip the lines, avoid the crowds, and freely travel the way you want. We will provide you a comfortable city bike. Everything is included such as insurance, safety equipment and a bike lock. Don't worry, we've got you covered.
This tour is ideal for everyone who wants to get to know Kyoto in a short time but in a relaxed way. Scheduled for 3.5 hours, you'll pretty much be able to see, hear and experience everything of the old capital city, the "must-see" places as well as the hidden corners away from the typical touristic paths.
The tour kicks off with a little visit to Gion area on the way to Kennin-ji temple, The World Heritage site, where you can learn about the beauty of Wabi-sabi and Zen Rock garden called Karesansui. Please feel the calmness of Zen temple in Kyoto. After the temple, we'll cycle Nanzen-ji temple, the highest rank of Zen temple in Japan! There are some good spots for photos! After this it's just a short cycle to Heian Jingu shrine! You'll know the difference between temple and shrine and how local people pray in those places.
At last, we'll be stopping off for a delicious lunch, another highlight to this tour! We have carefully selected the restaurant where we can taste, learn, and enjoy Kyoto's unique cuisine and enjoy its beautiful Japanese garden too! If you are a vegetarian, let us know beforehand and you are more than welcome!
At Magical Trip, we aim to provide a unique experience for each one of our great customers. Please do feel free to ask our local guides any questions about the tour and beyond :) We hope we can be friends because we believe the human connections are the most precious gift from which we can gain through traveling.
Also, we have bike tours in Tokyo and Osaka. If you are willing to explore the town by bicycle, join our fun bike tours in other cities!
Kick off the tour by cycling along the beautiful Kamo river before visiting Gion and Kennin-ji temple!
Despite being the 8th biggest metropolitan city with more than 1.4 million population, you will be surprised to find how calm and peaceful this ancient city is! Start this historical sights tour by learning about Gion & Geisha and Zen culture in Japan in UNESCO World Heritage Zen temple, Kennin-ji in Gion district. Get ready to feel the world of Zen in traditional Zen temple with Japanese Rock garden called Karesansui.
Breeze through beautiful local streets in historical city and enjoy a delicious lunch at a Japanese tea house!
As you may know, Kyoto is the former capital city of Japan from 794 until 1868 when the modern government moved its capital to Tokyo. It's no overstatement that whatever you imagine as 'Japanese culture' most likely has its roots in Kyoto! So after seeing the Kennin-ji temple, get ready to cycle again for a nice ride to the Nanzen-ji temple where your guide will give you some insights about Zen and the old days of Kyoto! After visiting some photogenic places in this temple, get ready to chow-down on some local cuisine with a plethora of different soba dishes available as well and yummy deserts with matcha and mochi at a traditional Japanese house! Also feel free to check out the beautiful Japanese garden and souvenir shop next door with delicious Japanese sweets called Yatsuhashi available to try too!
Enjoy the local Kyoto oasis that is Kamogawa river with a relaxing cycle along it's riverbanks to finish the tour off!
After chowing down on some delicious Kyoto cuisine and taking a break hop back on your bike and finish the tour off with a super-relaxing ride along the beautiful and distinctly Kyoto-esque route through the city. On the way you'll see many locals enjoying the sunshine and flowing river at this relaxing spot.
In front of the Seven Eleven convenience store outside of Exit Hachijo guchi of Kyoto station. It's next to Heart in viain.See on google maps
- In front of the Seven Eleven convenience store outside of Exit Hachijo guchi of Kyoto station. It's next to Heart in viain.
- The guide will be waiting with a Magical Trip sign board.
- Anyone over 12 can join (The size of bike is 24 or 26 inch)
- This cycling tour is not only for highly skilled bikers but also for anyone.
- For safety, the tour might be cancelled in case of unsuitable weather.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes for cycling.
- Please be prepared for hot temperature in summer.
- Please bring something to drink during the tour. (We don't provide a plastic bottle of water from viewpoint of SDGs.)
- Please follow traffic rules which your guide explains.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- We do not recommend bringing young children and baby on this tour. We can refer customers with children to outside sitter services, so please contact us before booking.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.