Kyoto Bar Hopping Nightlife Tour in PontochoPub crawl through the hidden local izakaya bars & eateries in Pontocho at night★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Experience deep izakaya & food culture in the backstreets of Kyoto that are normally hard to find for tourists at night
- All-in-one bar hopping tour. Drinks & Foods are included. so, you can come to the tour empty-handed
- Hop through 3 local Japanese bars with a friendly local tour guide
- Get insight into how to enjoy nights in Kyoto like a local
- Additional foods and drinks (Of course, it's welcome to order!)
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Many travelers think that Kyoto has only a few things to do after dark. Absolutely not so! Kyoto turns into a quaint night town where locals hang out for drinks, all while beautiful, red lanterns glow. Worried about local-only eateries or the language barrier? Don't worry. We are here to share with you the best ways of making the most out of Kyoto nightlife: bar hopping at local izakayas!
Izakayas are a unique aspect of our culture, special places that are hard to translate. They are a combination of a diner and a pub, where people enjoy drinking with well-paired small dishes. A traditional izakaya is usually cozy, which naturally makes people start communicating with one another.
The master at the bar and other customers, for instance.
On this bar hopping tour, you'll experience the best izakaya in the Pontocho and Kiyamachi areas that are personally handpicked by me!
At first, stroll the street of Pontocho and take some good photos in the middle of the red-lantern-dotted lane. We'll stop by the first place, where you'll sample local specialities and recommended drinks, like cold draft beer, Japanese sake, or shochu.
What's next? We will be taking you to places only the locals know and recommend, making for a one and only experience!
MagicalTrip selected the best izakaya menus, enough for a full dinner meal served at each izakaya bar. As this tour is an All-in-one bar tour you can come to tour empty-handed.
You can get your favorite food and drinks from MagicalTrip's original menu that our local guides chose for you at each izakaya and bar!
You can try some new Japanese food based on your local tour guide's explanations and recommendations.
If you have any food restrictions or preferences, please do not worry! Our menu is vegan / vegetarian friendly.
You can immerse yourself in different atmospheres and try different types of drinks and dishes, all in three hours!
Drink like a local! Go bar hopping in the backstreets of Pontocho, Kyoto at night!
Our meeting spot is in front of the Izumo no Okuni statue at Gion Shijo station. After meeting up, we'll spend the next three hours pub crawling our way through some of Kyoto's best local spots. To start, our local guide will take you to an izakaya bar (a local tavern) on Pontocho street, one of the most well known night streets, full of local izakayas to grab a drink or nibble on small dishes at. While we're there, we'll have fun conversations with our local guide about Kyoto nightlife, as well as the Kyoto lifestyle. What's next? We will be taking you to places only the locals know and recommend, making for a one and only experience!
Pub crawl through different types of bars. Various drink and izakaya food tastings
We'll continue to hop to different bars in the backstreets of Kyoto. You can try some authentic izakayas that serve yakitori or sashimi with crisp, cold draft beer. Or, if you're a sake-lover, our guide will help you navigate through a sake standing bar that serves Kyoto-made sake. You'll love every single hole-in-the-wall place that would be hard to find on your own!
Enjoy the night like a local! Gain insight into how to enjoy a night in Kyoto
Our guide will give you some tips and insider info on how to enjoy your Kyoto night. Also, we'll play some local-style games and quizzes like the locals do during this tour! Enjoy the great bars, talk with and make local friends, and have a memorable night out in Kyoto.
Gion Shijo Station, right outside of Exit 5, in front of Izumo no Okuni StatueSee on google maps
- A guide will be holding a orange signboard saying "Magical Trip Tour"
- The restaurant industry faces difficulty of hiring restaurant staff and training them because many restaurant staff had to quit or got laid off during the times of the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, food and drinks at some restaurants possibly comes served late and the tour might be longer than originally scheduled. We kindly ask for your understanding
- Because most Japanese restaurants are not fully ready for providing vegetarian menus, choices of vegetarian foods in our tour is available but limited.
- Please note that there may be other participants
- You do not need to pay for the guide's food and drinks
- Only person over 20 years of age can drink alcohol because of law in Japan
- Anyone over 15 years old can join this tour
- This tour could possibly visit the place where smoking is not prohibited. please note that we may not be able to change the tour venues in this case.
- Out of respect for our other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- We do not recommend bringing young children and baby on this tour. We can refer customers with children to outside sitter services, so please contact us before booking.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time change up to 24 hours till the tour starting time.
- Cancellation after the starting time or no show, we offer no refund or date/time change.
We are going to be visiting three bars in all of our Bar Hopping Tours!
Anyone over 15 years old can join this tour but only those who are 20 years or older are allowed to drink alcohol by Japanese law.
If you don't drink alcohol, we also offer soft drinks that you can choose from our menu.
Vegetarian food is available. You get to choose food from various choices at each bar.
No, you don't. Your guide pays on their own and enjoy with all guests!
If you don't eat fish or other seafood, you don't need to worry. We offer a variety of food in our menu to choose from. We try to balance between meat, fish, and vegetarian options so you always can enjoy eating at every bar. Please remember to put that in your booking comments so that our guide can be well-prepared for it.
Please visit Help Center for general inquiries.