Kyoto Sake Brewery & Tasting TourHave a sake adventure: learn the history, taste many kinds, and visit Kyoto's major brewery district★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Taste 22 kinds of sake made in Kyoto throughout the tour and gain the ability to distinguish the differences
- Learn about sake while walking around one of the three major sake brewery districts in Japan
- Walk around Kyoto's laid-back area along the river and visit a local shrine
Check out YouTuber Chonnyday experiencing our tour
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Enjoying delicious dishes with sake is one of the Japanese traditions, and we are really proud of it. Sake has the power to make beautifully arranged dishes even tastier and deepen our relationships. The charm of sake is one of the the reasons why we're still attractive the older we get. I would like foreigners to appreciate this charm by learning its history and variety of tastes.
Having a history of over 2,000 years, sake has been deeply involved in Japanese culture. Sake is not only consumed when people are socializing with friends, but it's also used as an offering to gods or gifted for ceremonies.
The Fushimi region, being famous for its quality water, is selected as one of the three major sake brewery spots and has been operating since ancient times. We hope you can appreciate Fushimi's breathtaking scenery, its brewery and the aroma, flavor, and depth of sake.
In this tour, you will explore one of the biggest sake breweries in Kyoto and find the perfect sake for you by tasting 22 kinds of Kyoto-made sake at a hidden sake bar.
Globally, sake is becoming more popular. Although it's being consumed more than ever before, the number of kinds imported from foreign countries is still very limited.
In Japan, there are countless types of sake available which are unique from each other. So if this tour sounds enticing to you, please join us and savor the numerous kinds of sake that are only available in Japan.
Even if you don't know anything about sake, you are still welcome to join this tour. You can learn about sake step-by-step from its history, brewing process, to distinguishing its different tastes.
If you are into Sake and try more in other cities, we have a Sake Tasting Tour in Tokyo as well. On this tour, you'll get to try different kinds of Sake at Tokyo's old sake bars with a different atmosphere. Check out Tokyo Sake Tasting Tour on the Tokyo page!
Take a stroll around Fushimi district, Kyoto's major sake brewery district, and visit the Kyoto Sake Museum
After meeting at the station, we will walk through Fushimi area and head to the Gekkeikan Okura Museum. There, you'll learn the rich history of Gekkeikan and the brewery process of sake by observing sake exhibits. Three kinds of sake tasting are offered. After deepening your knowledge of sake, feel free to stroll around the area and visit the cultural and historical spots, such as liquor stores and Teradaya.
After visiting the Sake brewery, enjoy tasting 22 kinds of Kyoto's local sake!
After learning about the history of the end of Edo (feudal government) period and Kappa, the mythological creature, go to the hidden sake bar to enjoy more sake tasting. Deepen your knowledge of sake and appreciate the different aromas and flavors between the 18 of them brewed in Fushimi, Kyoto.
Be a little tipsy, stop by one of Kyoto's shrines, and get refreshed by drinking exquisite Japanese groundwater at the end of the tour
To freshen up, we will go to the shrine and drink one of the most crystal clean groundwater supplies in Kyoto. Finally, we'll wrap up the the tour by paying a visit to a more quiet local shrine and end at Fushimi-Momoyama Station.
Chushojima Station, North GateSee on google maps
- A guide will be holding a board saying "MagicalTrip"
- Anyone can join this tour.
- For minors under 20, tasting sake is not allowed. Some foods or snacks will be provided instead
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- We do not recommend bringing young children and baby on this tour. We can refer customers with children to outside sitter services, so please contact us before booking.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time change up to 24 hours till the tour starting time (depending on availability).