Asakusa Cultural Walk & Matcha Making TourDiscover the history and traditions of the old town in Tokyo, Asakusa★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- An all-inclusive Asakusa walking tour covering all things to do recommended by locals within 3 hours
- Educational experience that you can learn Japanese religious culture at Sensoji temple and all about this old traditional town in Tokyo
- Experience Matcha making and taste the highest ranked Matcha in calm and relaxed tea house.
- Cook Monja-yaki originally created in Asakusa for lunch. (Okonomiyaki is also available!)
Check out YouTuber Life Where I'm From experiencing our tour
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Are you planning to visit Asakusa? Is your answer yes? It should be!
Asakusa is the most popular tourist destination in Tokyo. However, would you like to make sure that you experience the authentic Asakusa that the locals recommend?
Asakusa's trip wouldn't be complete with just passing through the main street and blindly following other tourists to Sensoji temple. Skip the over-priced, touristy restaurants around the sightseeing area and find one that is authentic, local, and fun!
I created this tour to help travelers navigate through "the real Asakusa".
I've lived in this district for over seven years. I wanted to offer this tour to ensure that you're able to travel with a local that knows the area well. If you do, your Asakusa experience will be 10 times more enjoyable!
During the tour, you will not only visit the main spots in Asakusa, but also take a break in the Japanese style at a teahouse where you can experience matcha (powdered green tea), and at a local restaurant where you can make your own monjayaki and okonomiyaki, so you will not only see but also experience Japanese culture and tradition through all five senses.
Our friendly local guide will give you some insights into important traditions of Japanese temples, local lifestyles, what to buy, and what to eat in Asakusa. You can't hear the real voices of locals by only reading guidebooks or reading website articles- have an in-person guide show you around!
This Asakusa cultural walking tour suits all types of travelers: family, friends, couples, and solo travelers. In addition, since this is a small-group tour (up to 8 people), you can also enjoy talking with and meeting new people, including your friendly local guide.
This tour starts at 11am and ends at around 2:00 pm, so you can check out shops that you discover through the tour, or keep exploring Asakusa after the tour (you'll probably find something very interesting after this tour)!
Since you're coming all the way to Asakusa, why don't you give this tour a try, making the most out of this amazing historical town?
Start your journey from Asakusa Sensoji Temple!
This 3-hour journey will start from Senso-ji, the oldest temple in Tokyo. We will explore the Nakamise Street that has 300-year history and try a traditional local snack. After passing through the souvenir street, we will step into the main spot of Senso-ji temple where huge Japanese dragon painting on ceiling await you. Our guide will share some Japanese customs and cultural tips related the temple and Buddhism.
Matcha green tea making experience at a quiet Japanese tea house
Experience the quintessential Japanese sightseeing tradition: a serene teahouse visit after exploring a temple. Escape the hustle and bustle, savor the finest matcha tea in a tranquil setting, and immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance of Japan.
Enjoy a local favorite, Monjya-yaki or Okonomiyaki in the backstreets of Asakusa.
Finally, we'll make a delightful detour to a cherished Monjayaki spot nestled in the charming backstreets of Asakusa, right along Hoppy Street. Here, your guide will lead you through the art of crafting this local dish, made from seasoned flour and a medley of ingredients. You'll relish your creation in the company of fellow travelers. If you're an Okonomiyaki enthusiast, fear not! You can master its preparation with the guide's expert instructions.
In front of Kaminarimon Police Box, Senso-jiSee on google maps
- 3 minute walk from Asakusa station Ginza Line Exit #1
- Your guide will be holding a red/orange sign "MagicalTrip"
- The restaurant industry faces difficulty of hiring restaurant staff and training them because many restaurant staff had to quit or got laid off during the times of the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, food and drinks at some restaurants possibly comes served late and the tour might be longer than originally scheduled. We kindly ask for your understanding
- Because most Japanese restaurants are not fully ready for providing vegetarian menus, choices of vegetarian foods in our tour is available but limited.
- This tour is available for all-ages.
- You do not need to pay for the guide's food and drinks
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time rescheduling up to 24 hours before the tour starting time (depending on availability).