Dinner with Maiko in a Traditional Kyoto Style Restaurant TourJourney into mysterious world of Maiko in Gion, Kyoto
- 3.5 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Walk around the Gion area, where the maiko culture originated, with a local guide explaining
- Full dinner course of Kyoto cuisine at a traditional Kyoto-style architectual restaurant is included
- Enjoy watching Maiko's performance and drinking games with maiko together
- All-you-can-drink package including Kyoto's sake, so you can drink with ease and enjoy yourself
- At the end of the tour, let's take a photo with the maiko, which will be a memorable experience in Japan!
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Do you know about 'Geisha'? Geisha are individuals who showcase traditional Japanese dance and arts, and act as accomplished entertainers during gatherings involving alcohol, engaging in conversations and drink games. The unique cultural phenomenon of Geisha first encountered Western civilization at the 1870 Paris Exposition. Interestingly, the term 'Geisha' is used in the Tokyo area, while in Kyoto, the birthplace of Geisha, they are referred to as 'Maiko' or 'Geiko.'
Drinking with a Maiko is an experience that is not easily accessible even for locals in Japan. It is a secretive and captivating aspect of Japanese culture that often requires a personal introduction, making it somewhat elusive for the general public in terms of both accessibility and cost.
This tour provides a special opportunity to explore the culture, history, and allure of Maiko, particularly in Japan. Explore the historic Gion district, the birthplace of Maiko, with a local guide. Enjoy traditional Kyoto cuisine and drinks in a traditional restaurant while indulging in the Maiko's dance, conversation, and drink games with explanations from the guide.
Experience the precious Maiko culture that can only be found in Kyoto, Japan. Please enjoy!
In the birthplace of maiko, Gion, stroll through the traditional streets of Kyoto while learning about the maiko culture from a local guide.
After gathering at Gion Shijo Station, the tour will involve walking through the beautiful traditional machiya architecture and streets of Gion, the birthplace of maiko. A local guide will provide explanations about the origins and history of maiko while exploring the area. The guide will offer insights into the secrets and charms of maiko that even first-time Japanese visitors might not experience without guidance.
The tour then proceeds to a traditional shop in a Kyoto machiya. While waiting for the maiko to arrive, the guide will provide explanations about Kyoto cuisine, local drinks, and guide participants on how to interact and enjoy the company of the maiko.
After exploring Gion, the tour will move to a restaurant housed in a roughly 100-year-old machiya building. In this restaurant, exuding a Kyoto-like atmosphere, participants will have the opportunity to enjoy all-you-can-drink, including Japanese sake, and savor visually appealing and delicately flavored Kyoto cuisine. To ensure respectful interaction with the maiko, the local guide will also provide guidance on how to engage with and appreciate the company of the maiko without causing any inadvertent offense.
The maiko makes her appearance, engaging participants in conversation, traditional dance, and drink games. Everyone can enjoy the lively interaction, and the experience concludes with a memorable group photo together with the maiko!
With a slightly satisfied stomach, the moment everyone has been waiting for arrives – the entrance of the maiko. Enjoy traditional dance performances, conversations, and drinking games set to Japanese music. Towards the end of the tour, there will be an opportunity for a group photo together, making it an unforgettable memory of Japan!
Gion Shijo Station, right outside of Exit 5, in front of Izumo no Okuni Statue
- Your guide will be holding a board saying "Magical Trip
- 14:00 Meeting at the meeting point
- 14:10 - 16:00 Geisha Training
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 7 days in advance of the tour starting time.