Fushimi Inari Hidden Hiking TourKyoto's No.1 Fushimi Inari tour, through a hidden hiking trail up the mountain.★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Hike through a hidden trail where other tourists don't know about for the majority of the tour!
- Discover and explore a hidden bamboo grove and immerse yourself in the serenity, away from other tourists.
- Take picturesque shots in both popular spots and uncharted areas efficiently with a local guide.
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Don't find yourself lost in a sea of tourists just trying to capture the perfect photo. We offer a personalized hiking experience unlike any other at Fushimi Inari. Our tour is the ONLY one that ventures off the paved paths and onto authentic forest trails. We're familiar with hidden bamboo groves and stunning evergreens surrounding the Fushimi Inari Shrine. Local paths guide us to the main shrine adorned with thousands of red torii gates, and we're acquainted with secluded trails leading to ancient, hidden altars.
Our journey commences at Tofukuji Station, leading us through a serene neighborhood and past quaint shrines en route to the mountain. We'll embark on a trail that showcases a breathtaking bamboo grove, connecting eventually to the iconic path lined with vermilion torii gates. Reaching the mountain's summit, we'll explore various shrine altars before descending via a wooded trail. Along the descent, we'll visit more shrines, leading us to another captivating bamboo grove. This trail culminates in the renowned section of Fushimi Inari, providing an ideal backdrop for memorable photographs. Our tour concludes at the main shrine base, where you can indulge in local street food before continuing your Kyoto adventures.
Since half of the tour takes place within the forest, you'll be shielded from direct sunlight. Moreover, being a small-group hiking experience, it offers an intimate setting akin to an outing with friends. Whether you're a solo traveler, with friends, a couple, or a family, everyone is welcome to join us.
Hike through a secret path into Fushimi Inari Shrine.
Even though there is Fushi-inari station, we start the tour from Tofukuji station because we enter Fushi-inari shrine from the back entrance. We walk around Kyoto's local neighborhood to a hidden trail and take a gander at the quiet and peaceful nature.
Journey into a secret bamboo forest -- an uncharted treasure trove
Crossing through a narrow mountain path, we will discover a natural bamboo forest, and a small Inari shrine hidden from tourists. Fushimi Inari's main entrance is hard to navigate due to a lot of people, but by walking through the mountains, we will see Fushimi Inari from a new perspective, away from the crowd. Crossing a narrow mountain path, we will discover a natural bamboo forest, and a small Inari shrine hidden from tourists. Fushimi Inari's main entrance is hard to navigate due to a lot of people, but by walking through the mountains, we will see Fushimi Inari from a new perspective, away from the crowd.
Return to civilization after a breathtaking view atop the mountains of Fushimi Inari
After an hour long hike through a hidden trail, we will return back to the main road in the middle of the mountains of Fushimi Inari. From here on, we will explore tourist areas on the way to the top of the mountain. Tour routes may vary, but it will end somewhere around the main shrine.
Family Mart Nakai Tofukuji Store
- Outside of Tofukuji Station EXIT 2, Next to the Family Mart
- Meeting at Tofukuji Station
- Start hiking in a secret trail
- Visit Local Hidden Shrines and Bamboo forests
- Join the middle part of Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Climb up the mountain to see the cityscape of Kyoto
- (Itinerary may vary depending on weather or group conditions.)
- The tour will be canceled in the event of a disaster such as a typhoon.
- This hike is not super difficult, approximately 7km in total. But it is not a simple walk and does take some effort. We would not recommend it for people who have trouble walking or are not in usual condition. We take regular stops and can do extra stops if needed.
- Persons younger than 8 must have their parents request permission before booking.
- As the ground can be slippery, you need to come wearing shoes with good grip.
- In the burning hot and humid summer here, we highly recommend you to bring a cap and sunglasses to avoid heatstroke.We will provide a bottle of water for each person.
- There may be mosquitoes and bugs as the group will hike in the mountain, so we strongly recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get a refund or reschedule if you are late for the tour and miss the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time rescheduling up to 24 hours before the tour starting time (depending on availability).
- The tour will be canceled in the event of a disaster such as a typhoon. We will inform all the guests by 1 day before the tour date in case of cancellation and we will make a full refund in such a case.
Yes, children can join as long as they have confidence to hike for 3.5 hours. You can also join the tour with a baby as long as you carry him or her during hiking.
In the tour, we usually hike to the top unless there are some customers who walk in the slow pace or it is hard for someone to go to the top
No, we don't rent out any equipments.
This hike is not super difficult. But it is not a simple walk and does take some effort. The hike takes 3-3.5 hours. We would not recommend it for people who have trouble walking or are not in a good condition. We take regular stops and can do extra stops if needed for you.
No, it ends at the main entrance of Fushimi Inari Shrines which is near JR Inari station.
Please visit Help Center for general inquiries.
Photos from the Recent Tours
Check out YouTuber Tokyo Lens experiencing our tour