Yanaka Historical Walking Tour in Tokyo's Old TownFeel the ordinary day of locals in the Tokyo's old town★★★★★
- 2.5 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
We deployed some measures to ensure the safety of our customers and guides.Read more
- Close to Shinjuku, explore Yanaka, an accessible town that will give you the "old town" experience missed by most tours.
- Explore a massive locals-only market that dates back to the 40's and sample the most popular Japanese snacks and dishes, chosen by the locals.
- Visit Nezu Shrine through the vibrant red torii gates and learn from a local about traditional Japanese views on religion.
- Lunch(Vegan menu available)
- Food samplings (Various types of local snacks and sweets)
- Tour photos
- 2.5 hours with a local guide
- Additional food & drink fee (You will need some cash to purchase food and drink)
There are so many different aspects of Tokyo. Populated, modern downtown areas like Shinjuku or Shibuya are becoming major symbols of Tokyo and big destinations for travelers.
While those districts have much to offer, there are some historical, culturally-rich districts right in the center of this vibrant city. Off of the Yamanote line (the central train line in Tokyo), just a couple of minutes away from concrete jungles of Shibuya and Shinjuku, there is a place where you can become a part of the deep, local lifestyle and soak up Tokyo's old neighborhood: the Yanaka District.
Yanaka is one of Tokyo's most charming and traditional districts. The neighborhood survived the attacks of WWⅡ and endured all of the big earthquakes of Tokyo. Because of its resilience, Yanaka remains intact as it was decades ago, bringing an air of nostalgia and rustic charm.
Throughout the walking tour, you can see the ongoing daily activities carried out in the market, and enjoy local snacks and street foods in the backstreets.
To begin, we'll visit Yanaka Cemetery surrounded by the beautiful nature to get some insights about Japanese cemetery. And we'll head to Nezu shrine, the oldest in Tokyo, to take amazing photos of the torii gates and gain some insight into Japan's traditional religion, Shintonism.
Afterwards, we'll pass through residential areas where many locals live. There are plenty of charming local shops and stalls to explore along the way! We'll stop by one local restaurant for lunch.
To round out the journey, we'll partake in delicious food sampling in Yanaka Ginza, a shopping street which best represents the flavors of Old Tokyo. There, you'll find shops selling clothes, toys, and other goods, as well as, of course, stalls selling delectable food and snacks.
One charactaristic of this walking tour is that getting to know actually japanese lives by hearing real voices from a local guide!
I would recommend this tour to any travelers who are interested in seeing the different side of Tokyo and witness the deep local lifestyle.
Let's window into the whole different side of Tokyo with us!
- Any age is accepted. Tour is free for children under 6.
- Please note that there may be other participants.
- You do not need to pay for guide's food and drink.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time change up to 24 hours till the tour starting time (depending on availability).
- Local favorite foods and drinks
- Hidden spots all over Japan
- Meet 10 of our local guides
Not ready to book yet?
Save it for later
Travel planning is hard. Take your time :) Save this link just in case and come back when you make a decision.
Some decisions need to be done together.
Share this link and see what they think
Check our FAQ to clear up any doubts you might have.