Nara Half Day Trip Walking TourExplore the Japan's 1st historical capital in a half day with a local guide★★★★★
- 5 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
What makes this tour unique
- Embark on a half-day journey through lesser-known spots in Nara, delving into its rich heritage and culture. Visit the revered Todaiji Temple and the enchanting Kasuga Taisha Shrine, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, offering insights into Japan's unique religious traditions. Additionally, interact with and feed the sacred wild deer of Nara Park, creatures believed to be divine messengers for over 1,200 years.
Tips and recommendations by our official guides
Nara, situated just under an hour from Osaka and approximately 1.2 hours from Kyoto by train, beckons visitors with its rich history as Japan's inaugural permanent capital in 710 AD. The city boasts a wealth of historical treasures, including some of Japan's oldest and most expansive temples.
On this tour, our knowledgeable local guide will unveil hidden gems known only to a select few locals, ensuring a unique and enriching experience. While you'll traverse the city on foot—a colleague humorously likened it to hiking—you'll also immerse yourself in Nara's lush natural surroundings. Rest assured, we won't overlook Nara's esteemed UNESCO World Heritage sites, ensuring you gain profound insights into its storied past.
Moreover, since this Nara walking tour coincides with lunchtime, you'll relish a hearty meal featuring locally sourced ingredients and vegetables, satiating your appetite after an insightful journey.
If you're eager to explore Nara efficiently and embrace a touch of physical activity, we invite you to join our tour. Immerse yourself in the captivating blend of history and nature in Japan's ancient capital!
After meeting your local guide in front of the statue, it's time to start the Nara historical walking tour!
Upon entering the shopping arcade, our first stop will be the iconic Kofuku-ji Temple, renowned for its stunning five-story pagoda. After capturing some memorable photographs, our journey will lead us to the impressive Todai-ji Temple. As you approach, you'll be greeted by two imposing guardian statues known as Kongo Rikishi. Beyond them lies the grand Great Buddha statue, a sight that never fails to awe visitors. Throughout this experience, our local guide will regale you with captivating tales and fascinating insights into Japanese Buddhism and the significance of these historic temples!
After seeing the Great Buddha statue, we will enjoy viewing Nara on the Nigetsu-do temple!
At the top of Todai-ji temple, there is the Nigetsu-do temple where we can enjoy the great view of Nara. After that, we will visit some traditional souvenir shops and walk toward Kasuga shrine where many wild deer gather!
Walk inside Nara park and interact with cute wild deers
Explore the beautiful red shrine housing hundreds of lanterns! After a nice walk, we will visit a good old restaurant for lunch. After that, we will check a Japanese old town that is extremely different from what we know of metropolitan Tokyo. Walking between the historical buildings, we can go inside a merchant's house and see how the people around here lived.
In front of the Gyoki Bosatsu statue near Exit 2 or East Exist of "Kintetsu" Nara Station
- Please don’t go JR Nara station, you need to be at Kintetsu Nara Station.
- It takes 10 minutes to get to Kintetsu Nara station from JR Nara station.
- The closest exit is Exit #2 or East Exist at Kintetsu Nara Station.
- Your guide will be holding a board saying "MagicalTrip"
- Meeting Place : Kintetsu Nara Sta.
- Kofuku-ji temple
- Todaij-i temple
- Kasuga Taisha shrine
- Nara machi
- All ages can join this tour
- Though we walk with a few short breaks during the tour,
- let us know beforehand if your group members are worried about their health.
- If you're vegetarian or want gluten free lunch, please contact us before the tour date.
- We might not be able to serve you the lunch plate for you if you have some restriction about the food.
- We are unable to accommodate gluten-free requests for this tour.
- You do not need to pay for the guide's food and drinks.
- Please bring some cash if you need additional snacks and drinks.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time rescheduling up to 24 hours before the tour starting time (depending on availability).