Kyoto Uji Matcha & Byodo-in Temple Walking TourExperience a traditional Kyoto Uji Matcha Tea Ceremony and explore in one of the ancient areas in Kyoto★★★★★
- 3 hour tour
- Small group tour
- English speaking guide
We deployed some measures to ensure the safety of our customers and guides.Read more
- An all-inclusive tour through the ancient towns of Kyoto, with an authentic Kyoto Uji Matcha Tea Ceremony experience.
- Gain knowledge on Japanese history and religion in two different world heritage sites; Byodo-in Temple and Ujigami Shrine.
- Byodo-in Temple Entrance Fee
- Kyoto Uji Matcha Tea Ceremony Experience
- 3 hours with a local guide
- Photos during the tour
- Extra food and drinks (available for purchase)
Uji is a south part of Kyoto, about half an hour away from the city centre. It has been one of the most historically rich areas in Kyoto, showing the unique attractions of ancient Japan.
Uji has been the popular destinations among the Japanese matcha lovers to try the fresh Uji Matcha, that is one of the three well-known Japanese tea brands, and learn how it is produced in this place.
On this walking tour, you will not only have fresh Uji matcha, but also make your own tea.
On the tour, a local guide will navigate you to all the must places in Uji and give you the insights about the history of Uji, Uji Matcha and Japanese religion while visiting two different World Heritage Sites; Byodo-in Temple and Ujigami Shrine.
At first, you will get insights into the historical background of this ancient town. On the way to Ujigami Shrine, we will stop our steps on Uji Bridge and learn about the meaning of the temple and the shrine both locating along the river.
After learning its rich history at Ujigami Shrine, we will stop by the tea museum to gain the knowledge on the tea production in Uji.
Walking over the bridge, we will visit Byodo-in Temple, one of the iconic destinations in Kyoto and learn why it was built and its relation to Japanese Buddhism.
Leaving Byodo-in Temple, you will make your own Uji Matcha Tea and taste it with a traditional Japanese snack. During the tea ceremony experience, you will also deepen your knowledge on the history of Uji Tea production about how tea would be produced in the past.
We will end our small journey in Uji after having lunch at the local restaurant.
We are sure that you'll get to explore not only all of the must-visit places but also have the educational experience by gaining the knowledge from local guides.
Hope to see you soon!
- All ages can join this tour
- Please bring some cash with you for additional food, drinks and souvenirs.
- For the respect of other participants, please make sure to show up on time.
- Out of respect for other guests and to ensure the best tour for everyone, we must start the tour on time.
- You will not be able to join the tour, get refund or rescheduled if you are late for the tour and missed the group.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the tour starting time.
- Free date/time rescheduling up to 24 hours before the tour starting time (depending on availability).
- Local favorite foods and drinks
- Hidden spots all over Japan
- Meet 10 of our local guides
Not ready to book yet?
Save it for later
Travel planning is hard. Take your time :) Save this link just in case and come back when you make a decision.
Some decisions need to be done together.
Share this link and see what they think
Check our FAQ to clear up any doubts you might have.